Friday, November 9, 2012

Darn it - Not so everlasting.

I always mourn the loss of a handknit, but I don't think anything is worse than finding a hole in a handknit sock.  The amount of time for the original knit, how much I love every pair, it's just too much.


I've lost a few socks over the three years that I've been knitting socks. I've attempted to darn them, but I'm afraid of my darning skills and me pulling the sock back out of my shoe and seeing an even bigger hole.

The sock is question this time are my Wineberry Rose Socks in Dream in Color Everlasting sock. (Not so everlasting, I guess.) I don't blame the yarn, I'm rather harsh on my socks. I wear them to work, and these pair were probably worn every week since I finished them last September. I take it thats about 65-70 wears in the past year, in tennis shoes.



Ill attempt to darn these as well, but I think they'll be retired to house socks. No more work for them.

2 comments:

  1. oh boo.
    i have a pair that just did a similar thing... i've never darned a sock before, but i think i'm about to learn how!
    hope you can put yours back together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a little girl, I learned to darn socks over a light bulb (as a form). But they weren't homemade socks, they were store bought socks. Now, as I am learning to knit my own socks, I find myself taking much more great pains at darning them because yes, my socks get HARD use and abuse. As I recently changed a light bulb, though, I wondered, as these bulbs get phased out, what are we supposed to use to darn our socks? Light bulbs are just absolutely perfect for the job!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...