Saturday, October 1, 2011

DiC Everlasting Sock - Review

Dream In Color Everlasting Sock
Dic Everlasting Sock in Wineberry
Fiber Content: 100% Merino
Weight: Fingering
Yardage: 420 yards/384 meters
Skein Size: 100 grams
Gauge: 7-9 stitches per inch on a 0-2 US needle
Website: http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/ (Sadly, under construction at the time of this post)

About this yarn
Everlasting sock is a machine washable 100% merino fingering weight yarn. My first impression was under the name "Everlasting" that the yardage would be more, but its about a standard 420 yards.  I believe the reason for the name is the more unusual construction of the yarn. Everlasting is an 8-ply yarn, consisting of eight strands that are plied together.  It also brags that it is spun and hand dyed in the United States.

My Impressions
When I first received the skein I purchased in the mail I noticed two things. One, the deep saturated colors in the skein were absolutely gorgeous. Two, it wasn't as soft as I was expecting. While I've yet to try it's sister yarn "Smooshy", I had heard that it was an extremely soft yarn and was expecting the same of Everlasting.

My knowledge of yarn construction is still lacking, but I assume that having more plys in a yarn will allow for it to hold up better to continuous wear, even without adding nylon content. Thus the name "Everlasting"?

After marinating in my stash for about six months, I finally cast on a pair of lace socks using my Everlasting. First thing I noticed, it makes a beautiful fabric, and I had no problems with funny pooling for the variations of purple it the yarn. You can see the finished socks here. Second thing, being 8-ply makes the yarn a bit splitty. However, a good sharp pair of needles, and a little extra attention on those k2togs, and it wasn't a problem.

When I reached the lace panel of my project, one thing became very apparent that is probably the very best thing about this yarn. Its stitch definition is amazing! I would definitely purchase this yarn again for my more intricate sock projects.

I've yet to see how "everlasting" this yarn is, but I wear my socks very regularly. I'll keep yall posted my socks' durability.

Summary
Pros
Gorgeous Colorways
Great Stitch Definition
Creates great fabric with little to no pooling

Cons
Splitty

Want some Dream In Color Everlasting Sock of your very own? Here are a couple websites I found that sell this yarn:
The Loopy Ewe
Simply Socks Yarn Company

1 comment:

  1. i've never tried any of the dream in color yarns but have always drooled over their colorways.
    thanks for your review - now it's on my "want to try it" list more than ever!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...