Monday, August 23, 2010

Public speaking and the sock blankie

IMAG0118
My works-in-progress talk went wonderfully! I had a great crowd, lots of comments and questions, and I could answer most of them! Even the ones I went blank on weren't so bad, because I really did know the answers and my boss was there to back me up. It was great to get that kind of feedback and support from many older students and post-docs too. Many of them came up to me after the talk.

Definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, my public speaking skills are starting to improve! Now I have eight months before I have to do it again. Woohoo! I saw a rainbow out of my window on friday too, which topped it all off.

Today I want to introduce you to my long term project. The sock blankie! It is made completely out of sock yarns, using a size 2 needle. You can read all about, and see the original sock blankie by Shelly Kang here. Maybe I'll finish it about the time I get that Ph.D.?

It has come into existence for two reasons. First, because I love to try new sock yarns, but I'm usually broke. This gives me an outlet to try lots of different yarns at a very low cost. Second, I wanted to prove to myself that I can finish something this big.

I'm about finished with the first row, measuring about four feet now.
IMAG0116
It's curled around in the photo so that I could get the whole dang thing in without having to stand on top of my chair. (Those wheels looked a little dangerous!)

My squares are approximately two inches across. I cast on 31 stitches on a #2 needle, and make a standard mitered square. It takes me about 30-45 minutes per square. Here is my current favorite square, which I'm sure will change frequently:
IMAG0117.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...